Friday, January 11, 2013

What does one do in a depression?

Well, for this little cycle (it comes and goes in waves) I watched "cheeky" shows like this one: Take Me Out UK
Let me tell you, I love dating shows for some reason. Always have. Blind Date, yes. Love Connection, absolutely. (Recently had a Chuck Woolery spotting in Austin, TX and I was starstruck!)
Furthermore, I knew that we stole a lot of shows from the UK. I knew that. I mean, The Office, Queer as Folk, Skins and more off the top of my head. But I didn't know we stole so damned much!! Come on, America, what's up? Do we not have any innovative thinkers here? Sure, we have some good shows now and then, but a lot of our fun shows seem to come from across the pond. Know what I mean?
So when I discovered that Take Me Out, my new favorite dating show from last season, was on in the UK, I was hooked. Now, technically of course, this show was adapted from Taken Out, an Australian show taking place in Melbourne. So I guess my rambling is moot on this one. But still, overall, the US stole another show.
I've also been into this show: Dating in the Dark
Admittedly, when I watched Dating in the Dark in the US, I thought it was stupid at forst. But sometimes it's the dumb things that hook you if you let them. Again, I'm not sure if this show originated in the UK or in Australia. I suppose both of those countries are just pretty awesome. I mean, the grass is always greener, but they certainly seem more fun in general. I guess I've just been too steeped in US politics and economy lately, and lack of civil rights for everyone and blah blah. It's draining. Lastly, my friends, you might wonder why I'm not more embarrassed by admitting to watching these shows. Firstly, what the hell do you do in a depressive fog?? At least I'm not shooting up. Second, people watch crap so much in this country it makes me squirm everytime I turn on basic cable (and nevermind all those other channels I don't get - that's a shame spiral right there). I am not a tv snob in everyday life, but I try not to watch most basic cable stuff. Lastly, watching those youngin's strut around (in Take Me Out for instance) and be silly and flirty and cheeky really takes me out of my own muck. It's as simple as that. What takes you out of your own muck?? Feel free to comment...(be nice to me)...

No comments:

Post a Comment