Monday, March 9, 2009

Everyone Should Dance

I do believe that everyone should dance. It's exercise, fun, with technical aspects and artistic aspects, as well as a social "thing".
I definitely do not do it enough.
There was dance class, a seemingly obligatory little girl activity. I quit after about 6 years because I just couldn't do that split that became more an more mandatory every year. Still can't.
Then there was the college years when dancing was a really fun accompaniment to the almighty social lubricant that is alcohol. But I realized over the years of trolling gay bars - the best music - and diver bars, that I enjoyed the high of dancing more than the alcohol. I was in every possible situation - dancing alone in an empty, pre-late crowd club; dancing alone in a crowded club; dancing with a group of friends; dancing with strangers, both sexually alluring and well, not so much. It's body language without a doubt. I felt as though I explored that language, learned it, perfected it.
These days I'm slightly older and go out a lot less, particularly to dance clubs. The future looks bleak on this front - the days of that granny on roller skates being cool are over. I guess that went out with disco and the coke spoons.
So what do I have to look forward to in the near future? I know that my body wants to dance and possibly even more than the standard bar/club gyrations.
I have decided to take dance classes. Of all sorts.
I'll update you on how that goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment